The holidays are certainly a time of celebration –– many of us get to spend time with our loved ones, exchange gifts, and share meals together. However, for many other people, the holidays are also a time of great strife. Did you know, for example, that domestic violence tends to spike around the holidays? Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and even Super Bowl Sunday are significant holidays notorious for their uptick of violence against women. If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, you might want to talk to an attorney who can help –– which is where Justice 4 Crime Victims comes in.
Domestic Violence and the Holidays
Why does domestic violence increase during the holidays? There are many overlapping factors. We list some of the them down below:
- Stress from holiday shopping and finances can aggravate volatile personalities
- Abusers tend to drink in excess over the holidays, making them more prone to commit acts of violence
- Abusers are also more likely to be home with their victims during the holidays than any other time of the year
Domestic violence can take many forms and shapes –– including very violent, criminal acts. Leaving such kind of relationship is incredibly difficult, and you need strong advocates in your corner, starting with an attorney who will represent your best interests in court,
Marsy’s Law in California
Victims in California are constitutionally entitled to a Crime Victims Bill of Rights, or a set of legal protections aimed to help them. Some of these rights include the following:
- Privacy protections so that you don’t have to worry about your abuser.
- Having your safety considered when the defendant’s bail is being set.
- Receiving a notice of plea bargaining and giving you a voice in the process.
- Presenting a victim impact statement for the judge to consider before sentencing.
- Having your personal property returned to you as soon as possible if it was used as evidence
- Receiving restitution for losses suffered as a result of criminal activity
Retaining the services of a competent attorney will ensure these and other protections are respected. Justice 4 Crime Victims is committed to enforcing these rights and ensuring your best interests are represented. Our team is led by Michael L. Fell, a former Senior Deputy District Attorney in Orange County, who knows the ins and outs of the legal system. Give us a call to learn more: 949-585-9055.